While working on my new project, which doesn't feel new at all - it's been a while since I've been working on it and it's going smoothly - I'm thinking about changing this website to transform this "devlog" aspect, that I'm not really using, into something else, simpler.
I'm not communicating a lot on Twitter either (and Facebook is a pure waste of time imo), I'm actually waiting for the right moment and enough content to do so and it's coming soon(tm).
It's been a while since I post something and I'm sorry for that. I've been working on multiple projects and didn't take time to write a little something.
A month ago I released a first build of my gamebook demo to a few testers. They seem to enjoy it even though they're not playing it that much. It sure takes time to enjoy a gamebook and I'm wondering how popular a game like that would be. I knew when I started it that it was a niche market, but seeing months later how some classic gamebooks were making a comeback, I felt reassured. I'm not so sure anymore, but I'm not giving up, I'm just slowing down.
Oh my god! It's on Google Play! (in french ^_^)
Before releasing the demo, I had one kinda problematic bug, some would say critical. The inventory was sometimes, and I insist on sometimes, crashing the game. When I looked at it, I noticed that sometimes the Inventory node (imagine an object) was not the way it should be. It was missing a child node and, up to now, it seems that I can't do anything about it, which is a pain in the ass. Good news is that it doesn't appear to happen a lot and when it does the autosave feature allows you to continue where you were. So yes it makes the game crash but it doesn't alter your experience. Not like this second bug with the dynamic buttons... What is this bug you're asking? Well, let me explain, sometimes, and I emphasize the sometimes again, a choice was missing. So when you were reading something like: "You can go to the left or the right", the game allowed you to only go to the left, it was very problematic. Not a crash, but worst actually. Good news is that this particular bug is corrected (I hope so, I need some more testing). At the beginning of the development, I was using static buttons for the choices. I later changed it to full dynamic because it was easy to make mistakes during the scripting of rooms. The code itself was supposed to work but it sometimes didn't, so it's now hybrid, static buttons with a dynamic approach. Honestly, that's what I should have done at the beginning, but I'm still learning. :)
About the upcoming demo version, Google is making something called Google Play Instant and I may wait for it to release it to the public.
One other project I started working on is a little adventure game, way smaller than what I had in mind for Calvin. I won't talk much about it because it's still in the early stages. I may start over Calvin if I'm happy with this little game. More news soon!
Several months ago, I wanted the demo to be available at this time of the year, but it didn't go as I planned. It seems that doubts are common when games are getting closer to a release, and life happens too. But be reassured, It's not that far (for the demo at least), no more date prediction though.
My main objective as a starting independant game dev is to make something fun and pleasant to play, a gaming experience I'd like to have myself, and this roguelite gamebook has this kind of potential I believe.
Lately, well weeks ago, I was wondering if combats were fun enough, and because I made them close to what you can find in lots of gamebooks, the player didn't have enough impact and luck had too much weight. I improved it to add a more strategic aspect but it needs lots of testing to get the right feeling.
Another significant reflection was about the code itself. Scripting the different rooms was getting on my nerves for the more complex ones because of the way my code was working. It was too much static, so I'm making it more dynamic. I just finished the inventory part and it works fine so far.
Here are some screenshots, but remember that I still need to do some adjustments.
And to finish this post, just to show you my moderately amazing drawing skills, here is an adventuress you may meet in the upcoming demo.
Hello curious people!
Still working on the gamebook, and there's a lot going on about it. I'm rethinking some parts, like the combat system, in order to make it more interesting than just hoping the dice are getting things done. I'll talk about it in a future post. The other part I'm reworking is the user interface. Obviously, what I did before was pure work in progress, and it's time to get serious. It's still WIP but closer to what you'll get when you play the gamebook:
If you remember my post about making content for the first version of the gamebook, well, I still am making that content of course. It takes time as you may imagine. Points 1 & 2 are done; 3 is ongoing.
I may do a little something before releasing this game, more news about it very soon. :)
Thanks for reading! Stay tuned for more!