Oyez, oyez !
Petit post pour vous avertir que ce jeudi 14 septembre, je vais lancer ma chaîne Twitch (www.twitch.tv/lecroissantcyclopefr) en découvrant en live le mode Maître du Jeu du très attendu Divinity Original Sin 2. L'idée étant de créer un one-shot (une histoire qui se joue intégralement en une partie) qui sera joué un jour prochain, également en live.
Concernant l'heure du stream, cela dépend de l'heure de sortie du jeu. Si celui-ci est disponible dans l'après-midi alors je streamerai aussitôt, sinon ce sera probablement nocturne, sachant que je continuerai la session le vendredi.
A jeudi alors ! :)
Little update. I'm pretty much fixing bugs and making content at the moment. I would like to draw more but it's a bit difficult to get the right graphic style, so I'm thinking of hiring an artist later when I have enough content on paper to know what I need precisely. Don't quite know what to expect about prices but I'll look into that soon. I still may draw the art though. Time will tell if I progress enough.
And to write a bit about my process of making content, let met first explain how the main mechanic of the game work:
As you probably know it's a gamebook, so at the end of each part you have choices which send you to different locations. In a traditional gamebook, same output everytime. Well, for The Inverted Tower, I added a random parameter to change the output everytime. So each time you play, it's a different adventure even if you're trying to make the right choices (which you won't be able to do much longer, because one is enough to send you elsewhere). To have this behavior, each location has properties, so when you have to further, I make a group of possible locations and pick one randomly.
These location features constrain the kind of content I'm able to make, well just a bit, I have foreseen a nice amount of possibilities and am still able to add more if I need it. So with that in mind, my main work these days relies on 4 steps:
1- The idea of a location. A place, a character, an event, a reward. Generic or complex. I write it down.
2- The structure. Here, it's about writing how the location works. I try to imagine all different outcomes and add already more flavor to it.
3- The scripting. Not the funniest part to be honest. It's about translating what I did before in the game using the own-made location skeleton.
4- The writing. Last but not least, because you don't want to get a dull variable name in place of a rich interesting text during the adventure.
That's the way I do it and while I'm writing about it I'm not doing it, so let's get to it!
Finally it's time for me to show you some screenshots of « The Inverted Tower », the rogue-lite gamebook i'm making for smartphones (android first). All of these are pure WIP (work in progress) and may change, but be free to comment if something seems weird to you.
That's a pretty neat question, right?
Well, to be brief, it's like a rogue-lite gamebook. It's a gamebook cause it's about reading and making choices, and it's rogue-lite cause you'll never live the same adventure. Of course you won't need any dice or a character sheet, thank you informatics. The first platform I'm going to release the game to is Android, and if people like it (and buy it), I may release it to iOS. When? Maybe at the end of summer if I'm prolific enough.
I don't have a name for the game yet, but I can tell you what it's about: You're an adventurer and you're exploring a dangerous tower to stop a certain someone who's doing mean stuff.
here's a new estimation of the progress :
Story system : 100% (I thought it was done in january but I kept adding some mechanics)
Inventory system : 100% (It's done but need a little tweaking cause of I'm doing on the graphics)
Combat system : 90% (A little bit of AI and sprites and it's good to go)
Character creation : 80% (these remaining 20% are about the different ways I'm adding to start the game)
Items : 20% (it may be more than 20% already, it depends on future content)
Bestiary : 5% (same)
Story : 12% (and here is the content, so for the first release it's about 12% done, but I'll add more content if there's a public)
Graphics : 20% (that's the part I'm on these days, screenshots next time!)
Sounds : 0% (not sure what I want here to be honest)
See you later, alligator!